Monday, September 06, 2004

Locked Out

Today was one of those days. We all have them. No matter how had we try everything appears to go wrong.

I left for work this morning late to say least and got a lecture when I arrived on promptness and the importance of keeping the schedule flowing. This was only followed by the revelation that I had left my keys to the cash register at home with my house keys on it as well, but I didn't panic because I could borrow a register key and didn't realize that I didn't have house keys.

The drive home...was interesting at best, the 12 minutes from Marsh to home are usually uneventful but today was a whole different day. Grace College's campus is still ripped apart because they are putting in new curbs, I ran a red light night in front of a cop...no I didn't get a ticket, but he did pull me over to point out the fact that I had run it. But at 4 in the afternoon my bad day was just minutes away from getting worse.

I arrived home to discover my brother wasn't there and to finally discover that my house keys were locked safely inside the house, mad no, but a bit frustrated. One would assume this is the end of day gone crazy but no. So I sat outside with a lot of time to think before someone with keys would be able so show up. I walked around the farm and talked to myself and God for quite a while. I think I was off in my own little world...well I'm sure I was and tripped and fell into a hole dug by stupid groundhogs in our barn yard, no I'm not hurt but I was all dirty and even more frustrated than before.

Finally someone got home to let me in then I took a few minutes to gather my thoughts and start to write. Even bad days have their up sides. I got to think about what all I have locked out of my life and how empty some people must feel when they lock out the most important things. I understand that often we shut out or lock out things that we don't want to deal with but then eventually those things get your keys and let themselves in so that we are forced to face them.

So today I look into some of those rooms that I had intentionally locked myself out of...Do I want to, NO, but I will because they will help me grow.

No comments: