Sunday, September 05, 2004

Staying on the Path

This morning in Sunday school an interesting question was posed. How many of us plan on making it the end? When you think about the end it seems so simple. We 'run' this Christian race from day to day then when we get to Heaven we stand before God and account for the things that we did in this life and for the souls that we won in His name sake.

As I pondered this question, I can't say that I never thought that I wouldn't make it to the end of this life long race but how many times I have started to leave the path and go out on my own. Straight and narrow may be a cliche but there are so many times when I want to do things my way and not the way of God. I want to move and I want to do it now but God hasn't lead me to that job that I am to have yet. I want a family and I want it now and yet I still have no husband. The list goes on and on. Where do I go from here with what I have.

We also talked about those who have fallen off the path and no longer choose to follow God and reasons why they left. Hurt, failing, and waiting were the three main ones that we discussed. Hurt by someone in the church and not wanting to deal with the human side of the church so instead of accepting that none of us are perfect they simply leave and blame it on God and the people of that one building. Failing, we all fail God some of us more than we should because of who we surround ourselves with and the things we do. I know that I have failed God so many times that it is nearly impossible to count the amount of heartache I have caused my God. The third topic is one that hit me especially hard and that is falling away from God while waiting on His hand to guide you. When you are sitting waiting to see what is next in you life and where you are to go from here and not knowing and starting to doubt what God is doing or what He has for you in the future. There have been many times during the last few months that I simply have wanted to turn and walk away from God because I have no idea what is in store for me and I'm so impatient that I want to know now. But I know that He is God and it is all in His time whether or not I like it.

So the goal is to stay on the path. We may bounce between the sides of the path and God may have to help guide us back into the middle but we must stay on it.

No comments: