Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Trying to Prove a Point?

It is hard to prove a point when you aren't sure what point you are trying to prove. I am facing an ever changing world and have struggled to find my place in it. I am planning to leave Warsaw in the not so distant future unless there is a job offer that I simply can't refuse that would arise here. I know that things are not always as clear cut as they appear. I wish I knew where one of my friends stood on the issue. If they were sincere about moving out there with me because then I would wait to go. If I didn't have to do this alone it would be so much easier. I wouldn't feel like I have completely lost my mind. I would put off a career out there to know that they wanted to go with me. I would give up the next year of my life to keep my friend close. Am I attempting to make this move alone to make a point? I don't know but I do need to see how sincere my friend is, and if they truly mean it then I will stay for a while.

I rebelled, its no secret, and now often I am forced to deal with the repercussions of it all. I knew that this would happen, even when I was doing the things that I was doing. I knew that there would be work involved and I knew that eventually there would be some fairly large consequences. I don't like them, not at all, I walk down the street and people know, especially in a small town like this. My family judges me because of my stance on religion, like I am to be perfect or something. I know that the things that I have done were/are wrong and I know that I am at fault and until a few months ago I wouldn't have wanted to own them. Now I can admit that I have screwed up and sometimes more than others and for right now this point that I was trying to prove has come back to haunt me.

How many Christians are out there just to prove a point? How many of us do what we do to show others that we can have fun too? Why do we do stupid things? And when asking these questions why do we say the things We do.

I read something that brought tears to my eyes. Eric wrote yesterday about an awful school year, more commonly referred to as the fall of 1998, a year that in many ways would be so much easier to forget about than to hold to. (www.ericbradley.com) It was a year marred by tragic deaths. First a very popular senior died in a car wreck, then my father in a car wreck, then a teach died after falling ill (no one really saw this one coming), last but certainly not least three former students died in a yet another car wreck in only sixty days. It made it very difficult to walk into a room with out wanting to cry but as time has gone on I believe that these things have made us stronger, even though there are times that even I struggle to see how. When I want to cry for no reason or I want to be mad at the world because I can be but that which doesn't kill us will ultimately make us strong? (or so they tell me).

I got to talk to a friend yesterday for a very long time and it was wonderful. Bethaney, my former roommate, and I spent over a hour on the phone yesterday, or perhaps it was Monday but it doesn't matter. I miss her she was a huge part of my life and to be real honest she is the reason that I am still here today. I never got to tell her how I feel and how much I appreciate her. She will be in the area on Friday and I am going to make sure that she knows how much she means to me and what a true impact she had on my life. You may not realize it when you are in college but often even the most seemed mismatched roommates end up being the best of friends. Bethaney was the brains of this outfit and the one who took logic to a whole new level so that I didn't freak out. We had our ups and downs, one down especially but we don't even talk about it anymore. She is happy to be home and care for her sisters youngest daughter who she hopes to adopt soon. She has a wonderful job that is exactly what she wants to do. I don't know I didn't think that I could live without her but as it turns out I can, it isn't always easy but I can, and I can still miss her and she her when she is close by but for now her short stop up here nearly an hour away will be the best I can do.

No comments: